Saturday, July 25, 2009

Langworthy Visit

We had a great visit from friends Bud and Nancy Langworthy. This gave us another excuse to visit beautiful areas of the park and environs. While they were here, we covered the upper loop of the park, the Beartooth Pass, and Chief Joseph Highway. I’ll insert pictures from our travels, including Lorraine Bud and Nancy at Artist’s Point with the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone in the background, us celebrating on the porch of their cabin at Mammoth, and Bud and Nancy in front of the Roosevelt Arch.







On our travels, we saw our first baby pronghorns in the Lamar Valley, as well as an alert male pronghorn silhouetted against the blue sky.





Lorraine also caught a coyote (or possibly a red fox) in a field, and we saw our first mountain goats ever. The goats were on a rocky ridge – shown first through my 200 mm lens. They are almost invisible (due to distance) at the center of the frame on the edge of a ridge. The cropped photo of them is next. It isn’t too sharp since it is a very small part of the frame. We would never have seen them but for some enthusiasts with a high-power spotting scope.







After the Langworthys left for Lake, Lorraine and I decided to check out the Mammoth Cemetery, which we had read a lot about in the book “Deaths in Yellowstone”. I’ve included pictures of a few of the gravestones.









In the category of “around Mammoth” I’ll show a picture of an elk through our room window, and a typical evening in the dorm lounge, where we solve most of the worlds problems on a regular basis.





That's all for now. I'm trying to do shorter postings - which maybe I'll do more frequently. I have too many pictures that I think you should all see. Lorraine has to point out to me that there is such a thing as overkill.

No comments: